RALEIGH, N.C. — Raleigh police continued investigating the death of a 32-year-old Black man found in a downtown parking lot Saturday, as the public nature of the incident prompted concern, questions and calls for transparency from community advocates.
Police Chief Rico Boyce said Monday that investigators were treating the death as a suicide. According to Boyce, surveillance footage collected from nearby businesses helped investigators determine what occurred.
Boyce also shared information with the permission of the man's mother, who told authorities that her son had previously struggled with mental health issues. Police said the family has been particularly distressed by speculation and unverified information circulating on social media.
“She is thankful that the Raleigh Police Department provided facts,” Boyce said. “She is appreciative we have answered her questions.”
A small memorial was established at the location as community members mourned the man's death. Local advocates have also called for a careful investigation and discussed organizing a vigil.
“We’re trying to organize that,” said Diana Powell, executive director of Justice Served NC. “We’re just trying to be patient.”
Raleigh Mayor Janet Cowell expressed condolences to the family, while advocates said the death also highlights broader concerns about ensuring people experiencing mental health crises have access to support.
Police continued to urge caution around unsupported claims as the investigation moved forward, emphasizing the additional pain misinformation can cause grieving families.
